Sunday, July 12, 2009

What Was I Thinking?

The moral of this story: don't sit down at the keyboard at 2 a.m.

So Friday night (Saturday morning, technically), I was futzing around on Twitter, looking for interesting people to follow. I clicked through on a blog talking about how you could win a trip to Antarctica with your 300-word blog entry on why you want to see this freezer up close.

My husband could probably come up with a plausible reason; I've always said I'd hang out in Buenos Aires until his ship returned. Julie and Antarctica do not belong in the same sentence, as I shiver at 75 degrees in July. But since this was a writing contest and my other option was to go to bed, I followed through to read the rules.

And that's where I made my mistake. You win by getting the most votes from your friends. It's not about who would be the best blogger for the audience and Quark Expeditions. The journalist in me saw red. Why would you give away a free trip to a blogger if you don't value good writing? So far, here is a sampling of the people who have a shot at winning this thing:

The Antarctic has a strange pull for many. It is an ethereal pull that transcends the influence the South Magnetic Pole has on a compass. A pull that seems to collect people from all walks of life to an environment that is harsh, even deadly, while presenting beautiful vistas and teaming life found nowhere else on our blue sphere of a planet. I wrote paragraphs like that when I was trying to reach a word count on a high school essay without actually reading the assignment.

I am an Antarctic historian and know a great deal about the Heroic Age of Antarctic exploration, yet I have never seen the places that loom so large in my imagination. Spare me from academics who don't know what they're talking about.

If honored to be the recipient of this incredible adventure, I promise to Dream the Impossible Dream with the rest of the world, sharing not only my thoughts, and my music but my photographs and the powerful way only this sojourn will certainly change this humble and curious man. And may I humbly add that it's most curious why you would suddenly choose to capitalize in the middle of a sentence.

Ten days after defending my dissertation ... I got as far as "dissertation."

This opportunity is more than a chance to satisfy a personal dream, it’s a chance to share the story of a lifetime. I’ve read many articles and books from those who have visited the region, and what I can guarantee is an honest account of the Quark Tour experience. When the ship enters the Drake Passage you’ll read not only about the reaction of the passengers onboard, but also the reaction of the tiny ice ship as it cuts through those notorious waves. If I understand this correctly, those many articles and books must be lying if this gal's unique offering is to take an honest approach. And the only reaction I want from my tiny ice ship is that it remains in one piece. Beyond that, I don't give a rat's behind about its reaction, viewpoint, or opinion. I want it to keep its mouth shut and do its job.

So I decided to strike a blow for fun storytelling and defend good writing everywhere. I entered this contest by 4 a.m. — and now I need a mere 1,542 votes to catch up to the leader (someone who uses lots of exclamation points in his essay! Because he's the right person for the job! !!). I have until September 30 to reach voters, and you can only vote once. While I'm doling out bad news, it's one of those dumb registration deals so they can make sure you only vote once on your email address.

If you have a few minutes to help me out, I'd be most grateful for your support: Blog Your Way to Antarctica. My husband will appreciate his big chance to force me into something I said I'd never do.

5 comments:

Sheri Ann said...

Voted for you!! Hope you win!!

Julie Sturgeon said...

Thanks, Sheri. You just want to know that somewhere, someone is as miserable as those in Buffalo in February, huh?!

Love ya, gal.

CW Merv said...

I voted for you as well. The idea of you in Antarctica would make the Bloomington Winter seem somewhat better.

Alexandra Grabbe said...

Hi, Julie. I voted for you. We actually had some folks from the UK, who organize tours to Antarctica, visit our B&B last May or June.

Michelle said...

OKAY....and when you do my interview (wink, wink) I'll tell everyone to vote for you.

Okay, okay, I'll tell everyone to vote for you anyway. Fine.