Saturday, January 17, 2009

The End Is Near

Winter has officially won the battle for my sanity.

It was scoring on the little skirmishes all week: I don't especially enjoy mail that comes in from the box feeling like little pieces of dry ice. I'm not a fan of feeling as if the wind is about to break your bones. I don't think it's funny when people send me notes asking if I know it's -11 outside. Yes, I do. That's why I'm wearing three layers and have locked myself inside.


<-----Before I lost my mind

But this morning was the last straw. I woke up with a song stuck in my head. Now it happens to everybody, and it's usually annoying to walk around humming Take This Job and Shove It or Bubbly for hours on end. Although I kinda like when my brain locks on to Devil Went Down to Georgia because I have an excuse to say son of a bitch.

However, I'm now catching myself in odd moments singing that Sesame Street classic, Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood. I don't even know all the words because I don't have kids, so it's a tune from my brother's childhood in the record library of my mind. I'm not sure of half the notes.

I'm willing to pass the crazy crown and straight jacket on to someone else who can top that. Kudos if you can also get that stupid jingle out of my head in the process.

7 comments:

mean mom productions said...

I feel your pain.

glitzen said...

ha ha, you are funny. My girls whistle the Andy Griffith Show theme song all the time. We watch a LOT of his old shows, too much I guess? :)

Denise said...

Thanks, now I'm singing a medley of all the songs that you mentioned!!

Found your blog today (2 peas) and have enjoyed it!

Julie Sturgeon said...

Well, we're going on 48 hours now and my dog is starting to hang out in the other room. Guess he doesn't care who you meet when you're walking down the street...

CW Merv said...

I'm probably one of the few who gets old Genesis songs stuck in my head on a regular basis.

There's nothing like walking down the street murmuring, "and the lamb... lies down, down, down, down.. on Broadway!"

It's horribly annoying at times.

Disneypal said...

Oh a mailman is the person in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, he's in your neeiiigghhboorrhood...

Julie Sturgeon said...

Thanks a bunch, Disney. Just when I almost had this thing licked ...

And Merv, I believe you and Phil Collins are the only two people who actually know that song, so people think you're humming nonsense when they pass you.