Tuesday, December 30, 2008

5 New Year's Resolutions I Can Live With

I’m definitely not a New Year’s Resolution kind of gal. For one thing, January 1 isn’t always a convenient time to make a plan. For instance, say you have a large outstanding amount of money in invoices and no one pays you in October. I don’t think I’d better wait three months to resolve “to keep better track of the billing process.”

Unless of course I develop a fondness for hiding from the IRS, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, AT&T, Direct TV, Insight, National City Bank …

Then there’s this whole “I blew it” guilt because I didn’t stick to something I vowed to do, which somehow is more binding if you write it down on January 1 as opposed to April 17.

But now that I have a blog, and I’m under pressure to write something here twice a week even if I’m taking time off basically waiting to dismantle the tree on Friday, I’ll take the easy way out. Here are 5 goals I promise to live up to in 2009:


Maybe I'll get ambitious and add "getting Barbie out of the box" to my 2009 list of goals.

1. Exercise more.
A trick resolution on my part, because if I get up out of this office chair to fix myself another Pepsi one more time a day, that qualifies as “more exercise.”

2. Eat right.
Ha! I'm a card-carrying Republican. I don’t vote left, I don’t eat left.

3. Take time for reflection.
Done! I just made a note for my cleaning gal to really Windex the mirror in the bathroom next week.

4. Save money.
This one is actually fun. I cut out a coupon for a $25 iTunes card free with a $100 purchase of HP toner cartridges at Office Depot. Now I’m off to stock up.

5. Post twice a week.

A nobrainer ... over at Uptake, that is. It's in my contract so I have no choice, and they're paying me. Hopefully on time.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Hello Julie. Forgive me for being so bold, but I'm doing a bit of blog surfing to invite people over to my blog to join my annual giveaway. There are no gimmicks. It's just my way of celebrating two years of blogging. I'm giving away a free caricature drawn by me. I'd be honored if you came over to check it out.

Heather said...

Great goals! Which are totally different, in my mind, than resolutions! I think I need to get more exercise by drinking more diet coke! Great idea!

senovia said...

lol I like the Pepsi one and the reflection one. Those are keepers. :)