Friday, September 5, 2008

You Can't Hear Me Now

My phone rang at 10:30 last night. That’s not completely unheard of around here, between Ron’s Toastmaster leadership and friends knowing I’m a night owl. It was who was calling that triggers this blog post.

It was a source I was supposed to interview earlier in the day. This guy had been told in advance what the article was about and how his expertise fit. I followed that up with an email containing questions, to which he replied, proving that he received it.

So I can say with complete confidence that this man is stupid. Because when I called for our interview, he said he was under the impression I’d set this appointment to prep him for his role in the article, not --gasp! -- dive in and ask a prearranged question. Even though I was completely caught off guard, I did a decent job of explaining how journalism works in the next five minutes, and thought we were finally ready to start tackling his opinion on how outdoor living trends are impacting indoor floor plans.

Oh, sorry … he couldn’t talk just then. He said his iPhone wasn’t working and he couldn’t tell me why he was able to converse with me on it at that moment. He’d have to call me back after he had it repaired.

This doesn’t even rate a “get outta here.” It’s more like two slow blinks.

I’d like to know what shop handed it back to him at 10:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night. But I guess I’ll never know since I exercised another technology wonder known as caller i.d. and voice mail.

No comments: