Sunday, September 14, 2008

Name Games

I know what you're secretly wondering but are too polite to ask: How did I dream up a company name like Curing Cold Feet?

The truth is, I couldn’t stand to lose an argument.

It was a 3 a.m. Thursday night/Friday morning epiphany. I’m not a patient person, and I knew when I signed the contract papers with Montrose Travel the following Monday, I would be officially valuable good time if I didn’t have a name and website registration for my agency at that second.

My original idea was A New View, which prompted Ron to suggest I Google that to make sure it was available. Good grief, of course it was available – I thought of it, didn’t I? He just gave me that male, “I know details, so don’t even try to suggest I’m wrong” stare. Off I ran to my keyboard to prove him wrong.

By 1 a.m., I knew I had some serious spin to work out. Not only was A New View taken, but other obvious travel words like paradise, beach, and sunset combinations were gone. Even desperation searches like “luggage tag” drug up travel agency names in this country.

To add more frustration to my crankiness, I needed a logo. My brother-in-law Larry is a top-notch graphic artist, but unfortunately he’s family. He won’t let us pay for marketing requests, but you go to the back of the pack behind the customers at this price. I was looking at a month, easy, before I could get that part pulled together.

Did I mention I’m not a patient person?

Being backed into two corners makes you consider options you didn’t know were options. My desk is usually a mess, and that night’s collection included one of Larry’s logos lying around that we used for my husband’s now-retired Toastmaster theme for our state. A big blue foot that accompanied the slogan “Curing Cold Feet.” Hmmm, that sounded like vacations … walking along a beach, getting out of your current environment, overcoming inhibitions. (OK, I don’t know what that has to do with travel unless you’re afraid to fly or you go on vacation just to bungee jump.)

Best of all, because this package was Ron’s baby, I could float the notion that I wanted to immortalize his year as the state president in this more permanent way, and he’d never suspect my first idea wasn't a slam dunk.

Worked like a charm.

No comments: